Along with affecting your daily well-being, energy and fitness levels, being overweight can over time greatly increase your risk factors for health problems and diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, gall bladder disease, sleeping problems and some types of cancers. If you maintain or reach a healthy weight, you will be able to keep all those diseases at bay and live a longer, healthier life.
However, the weight loss industry is full of myths. People are often advised to do all sorts of crazy things, most of which are unhealthy and counterproductive. Follow these easy tips to maintain or reach a healthy weight
Tips To Reach and Maintain Your Ideal Weight
- Drink More Water. Keeping hydrated is crucial for health and well-being. Water helps dissolve minerals and nutrients, making them more accessible to the body. It also helps remove waste products and keep your body’s alkaline environment. But did you know that water also helps you with weight loss, or to reach and maintain your ideal weight? Drinking water can boost metabolism by 24–30% over a period of 1–1.5 hours, helping you burn off a few more calories. Dr. Sebi recommended a gallon of spring water every day, so start sipping! If you are having trouble reaching your water goal every day, try these recipes for flavored water.
- Eliminate Junk Food. Junk food describes food and drinks low in nutrients and high in kilojoules, saturated fat, added sugar and/or added salt. Eating too much junk food is linked to serious health problems and obesity. Dr. Sebi said it: “sugar is very bad for us”. It is one of the worst ingredients in the modern diet. Added sugar and refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, spike blood sugar rapidly, leading to hunger, cravings and increased food intake a few hours later, which can make it hard for weight loss. Added fats can lead to high blood cholesterol, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome. Junk foods are not a necessary part of any diet, so eliminate them ASAP if you want to reach or maintain your ideal weight.
- Exercise Portion Control. Controlling how much you eat can be very helpful when you’re trying to lose, reach, or maintain your ideal weight. Keeping a food journal can help you realize how much you eat every day, especially if you are a mindless snacker or emotional eater.
- Surround Yourself With Healthy Food. Clean your refrigerator and pantry and get rid of all the sugary, greasy food and snacks. Now, fill them up with the good stuff! Keeping healthy food nearby can help prevent you from eating something unhealthy when you’re hungry. Set up for success and support yourself by making it easier to make better choices! Stick to fruits, vegetables, and grains approved in Dr. Sebi’s Nutritional Guide. As always, remember that balance is key and you don’t need to overly stress yourself about getting the right nutrition. You can subscribe to Dr. Sebi’s YouTube Channel for tips and recipes!
- Move! Try to move every day, even if it’s only a 10-minute walk after meals. Doing exercise is an excellent way to burn calories and improve your physical and mental health. Invite a friend so you can keep yourself accountable, this way it will be easier for you to reach or maintain your ideal weight.