Do you miss out on the moment because you’re thinking too much? Does your mind unhelpfully repeat thoughts on a loop, distracting you from the enjoyable things in life?
If your thoughts sound like a broken record, it’s time to play a new song! Dr. Sebi’s Full Spectrum Hemp-CBD Products induce a relaxing calmness and heighten mental clarity, helping you detach from repetitive thoughts and enjoy the present moment.
“Everything I heard I disagreed with.” - Dr. Sebi
What is Overthinking?
Overthinking is thinking too much about anything. Your subconscious mind repeats the same content over and over about a person or situation, without taking action to make a positive outcome.
Overthinking happens to everyone, and creates unnecessary stress. Focusing on negative outcomes and potential issues is a survival instinct - our primitive “reptilian” brains are hardwired to see the worst case scenario to keep us alive from potential dangers.
Our ancestors had many deadly obstacles to avoid, so they needed this survival mechanism (part of the ‘fight, flight or freeze’ stress response) to stay alive. But, in today's world we are mentally stressed by far too many things, including: the news, traffic jams, low wages, high taxes, corporate corruption, political tension and social division.
Are you Overthinking?
Overthinkers are stuck in the stress response and their minds are trying to think their way out of a problem that can’t always be solved. If you find yourself doing any of the following then you’re overthinking:
- Analyzing decisions but not taking action
- Concerned about the future
- Doubting your capabilities and skills
- Dwelling on uncomfortable past events
- Focusing on things outside of your control
- Predicting worst case scenarios and outcomes
- Replaying past traumas and mistakes
- Ruminating about past regrets
- Second guessing your decisions
- Worrying what others think of you
Overthinking, which is essentially creating an excess of mental stress, can have serious consequences:
- Addictive coping mechanisms
- Anxiety and depression
- Disrupted sleep cycles
- Inability to take action
- Increased risk of disease
- Less able to solve problems
- Poor relationships
- Reduced quality of life
- Shorter lifespan
7 Strategies to Stop Overthinking
You have an opportunity to improve your mental landscape and remove the thought-weeds holding you back! Give yourself permission to: worry less; act more and trust in your ability to make the right choice.
1) Recognize When You’re Overthinking - the first step is simply to become consciously aware when you’re overthinking. Knowing is half the battle; then you can do something about it. Say to yourself something like “Ha! I’m overthinking this!” Don’t judge yourself, just notice.
2) Move into the Moment - action is the enemy of thought, so keeping yourself physically occupied with enjoyable movement is a great way to stay present, get out of your head and into your body. Try walking, jogging, cycling, driving, hiking, swimming, yoga, boxing, or any activity you enjoy that makes you focus on what you’re doing (rather than thinking about doing it).
3) Restrict Your Decisions - the more options we have, the less confident we become about our choices. When we do decide all the ‘unchosen options’ make us feel like we have missed out. Reducing options frees up your mind from overthinking all the possibilities. Limit choices in areas of your life where you don’t need lots of options, e.g. choose your 10 favorite alkaline evening meals and cook them on rotation. Narrow your options so your brain can think less!
4) The Regret Exercise - this is a powerful tool to help you escape crippling indecision and move on with your life! When assessing different options, ask yourself:
“Which will I regret more? Missing out on option A, or missing out on option B?”
“Which option will I regret most in one week’s time, one month’s time, one year’s time, or on my deathbed?”
This quickly cuts through all the overthinking the brain likes to do and gets straight to the heart of the matter!
5) Food for (Less) Thought - processed, sugary and acidic foods reduce the oxygen in our blood which stops our evolved brain (the neocortex) from being in charge, so the primitive (reptilian) brain takes over. The primitive brain can only react (it’s main reaction is the stress response). One very clear mental manifestation of the stress response is repetitive thoughts and overthinking!
Consuming a diet rich in the foods from Dr. Sebi’s Nutritional Guide provides the body and brain with the crucial nutritional components it needs to think calmly and clearly.
“Avoid the starch, which is carbonic acid, the uric acid, the lactic acid and there’s many more. But avoid them and begin to relax yourself…”- Dr. Sebi.
6) Be Solution Oriented - it’s good to be aware of your problems, but most of your thinking power should be directed at how to solve them. The ultimate way to overcome overthinking is to take charge and create the solutions to the problems your mind presents.
If you don’t have the power to change the situation, worrying about it won’t make a difference. If you do have the power to change it, focus on the things you can do to make it become a reality!
7) Schedule Thinking Time - set aside time dedicated to thinking, and let your mind pour out its problems onto a bit of paper for a set amount of time (e.g. 12 minutes). When the time is up, stop thinking about problems and spend the same amount of time writing solutions.
When the time is up just sit calmly for a moment, focus on your senses, take some deep breaths and then find something else to do. Allow your brain space for thinking about a problem or situation, but with clear boundaries, remember you are in charge!
Many of the modern mental issues we face are made much worse by inflammation in the brain and gut. Dr. Sebi’s Full Spectrum Hemp-CBD Products are rich in the alkaline phytonutrients and fatty acids that nourish your brain, reduce gut inflammation and promote increased tranquility; freeing you from the tyrant of your own mind.
This month, to remember and celebrate Dr. Sebi’s birthday, we are offering an impressive 30% discount on all of our unique organic hemp-CBD products. Dr. Sebi’s unique approach to mental health taught us to use potent herbs and alkaline nutrition to free the mind, and liberate the body.
Our minds were made for thinking, but not all of the time. Make your mind work for you, the way you need it to, and then decide what you truly want to do.
“I don’t follow leaders. The only leader I follow is my mind.” – Dr. Sebi.