Skin is the biggest organ of the human body – weighing 8 pounds and covering 22 square feet.
Responsible for much more than you might imagine; do you know the ways your skin works for you?
Dr. Sebi’s Eva Salve delivers aromatic alkaline herbs to lavish and soothe your skin; reduce scars, soften fine lines, and tighten pores. Give your skin a healthy glow and support suppleness into old age with Eva Salve.
More than Skin Deep
We have two different types of skin that cover the entire body, separating you from the outside world:
- Hairy Skin (covers most of the body, both thick and thin hairs, and follicles).
- Hairless Skin (more sensitive, palms of hands, soles of feet, genitals, and lips).
Hairless (glabrous) skin on our fingertips includes unique swirling patterns to help us grasp objects; wrinkling when soaked in water increases surface area and grip. We have the same ‘anti-slip adaptations’ on our toes, but most people don’t know we have toe-prints!
Your skin is made from three distinct layers:
- Epidermis: upper, visible, waterproof, layer of skin - most visible cells are actually dead.
- Dermis: under epidermis, contains blood vessels, hair follicles, nerve endings, sweat glands.
- Hypodermis: layer of fat and connective tissue, supports the physical structure of the skin.
Function and Feeling
The skin has five major functions, critical for health and wellbeing:
- Sensation: packed with nerves and receptors, skin allows you to feel. Sensory receptors detect touch, pressure, vibration, pleasure, pain, and temperature to keep you safe from danger, and help you understand the environment.
- Protection retains moisture, shields against UV radiation, and stops many harmful toxins from getting in. When the skin is damaged the immune system sends specialized cells to prevent invading pathogens.
- Regulation: produces and modifies various hormones that go directly into the bloodstream. Skin is highly sensitive to hormones produced in other organs, and ‘acne’ breakouts can signal hormone imbalances.
- Temperature: fat in the dermis insulates us from external temperatures. Blood vessels contract or dilate, adjusting blood flow and heat loss. Sweating also regulates temperature, cooling us down as the liquid evaporates.
- Detoxification: supports the kidneys to eliminate waste. Toxins are pushed out through skin, especially when the liver and kidneys are overloaded. The skin produces a significant amount of sweat per day which helps remove toxins, including heavy metals.
Tips for Beautiful Skin
Diet: many skin problems originate in the gut, and are an immune response to toxins and acidic food. When the diet is acidic, skin produces more oil (sebum) leading to greasy break-out-prone skin. Diet affects how your skin looks, and how well it functions. Glowing skin needs approved alkaline nutrition!
Hydration: Dr. Sebi recommended drinking 1 gallon of spring water every day. Staying hydrated supports skin detoxification and temperature regulation. Spring water also contains health-supporting minerals, and is naturally alkalinizing.
Cleansing: make-up and cosmetics get into pores, and when left overnight can cause acne, pimples, and dry skin. Before you get into bed, cleanse your skin, and remove make-up. Be aware that many cosmetic brands use chemicals that damage skin. Avoid these ingredients:
- Acetylated Lanolin, Benzaldehyde, Isopropyl Palmitate (Acne)
- Parabens, Salicylate (Skin Allergies)
- Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Irritated Skin)
- Lauroyl Lysine (Clogged Pores)
- Fragrances, Preservatives (Dermatitis)
In addition to the food you eat, it’s possible to feed the skin from the outside! Your skin eats and drinks everything you apply – soaking up 8 full glasses of water every time you shower.
Dr. Sebi’s Eva Salve helps restore skin elasticity, and is rich in herbal nutrition. Soothing and softening shea butter is synergized with anti-inflammatory herbs, and essential oils, that reduce pain, stop itching, slow the signs of aging, encourage wound healing and protect the skin from infection.
Dr. Sebi's Hair Food Oil feeds the skin on your head. Nourish the scalp, strengthen hair, and make it smell delightful, thanks to the nutrients and protection from Olive Oil, Batana, and Coconut Oil.
Combining alkaline nutrition with hydration and herbs supports smooth and supple skin that protects you from within. Your skin plays a vital role in protecting your body, so you need to play your part, by loving and protecting the skin you are in.