Plant-based mushroom gravy!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/4 of an onion, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (any type, except shiitake)
- 1 pinch each sea salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons amaranth or spelt flour
- 1/2 cup homemade (approved) vegetable broth
- 1 cup homemade walnut milk
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Add grapeseed oil to a cast-iron skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. Then onion and mushrooms and season with a pinch each sea salt and cayenne pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add amaranth or spelt flour and whisk to coat. Cook for 1 minute.
- Then slowly whisk in homemade vegetable broth and walnut milk, starting with 1/2 cup walnut milk and building up. Season again with a pinch each sea salt and cayenne pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, over low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add walnuts and stir to combine. Keep on low until you're ready to serve, adding more walnut milk as needed if it gets too thick.
- Serve over plant-based biscuits or bread made with flour from approved grains.