Salty, savory hemp seed "cheese" is tossed with juicy tomatoes, chewy homemade croutons, and a tangy vinaigrette. This panzanella salad is packed with the flavors of summer!
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 ½ to 2 ½ tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons raw homemade sesame "tahini" butter
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
- ¼ cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Cherry Tomato Panzanella Salad
- 1 small freshly-baked approved-grain bread (about 8 inches long or 8–10 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 2 avocados, stoned, peeled, and chopped
- 1 seeded cucumber, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 to 3 ounces arugula (about 2 heaping cups)
- ½ small red onion, quartered and then sliced
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
For the hemp "cheese"
- Add the walnuts to a small food processor and process for 20 seconds, or until ground into a coarse meal. Add the hemp hearts, key lime juice, tahini, and sea salt. Pulse 15 times, or until the mixture begins to pull together in a large, moist mound.
- Freeze for 20 minutes to set and firm. Then, use a fork to scrape along the surface to gently crumble the "cheese". Keep refrigerated until serving.
For the Vinaigrette
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk together until emulsified. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the salad.
For the Cherry Tomato Panzanella Salad
- Meanwhile, heat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Brush the soft, interior side of each bread slice with the grapeseed oil and season with sea salt and cayenne pepper.
- Once the grill is hot, place the bread, oiled side down on the pan. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, or until toasted with deep golden-brown grill marks. Flip and grill another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the desired doneness is reached. Carefully remove each from the grill and cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, carefully slice each piece of bread into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the toasted bread cubes, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, onion, and basil. Pour as much of the dressing as desired over top, and toss to coat. Divide between bowls or plates and top with the “cheese” crumbles. Serve immediately.