If you're like the majority of the population, you're used to drinking a cup of coffee every morning to help you wake up, or an energy drink mid-afternoon when you feel sleepy. To wake up without coffee seems unthinkable! However, as you go deeper into your understanding of Dr. Sebi's methodology and you start following the Nutritional Guide strictly, you'll notice he said NO to coffee and any other stimulant beverages. Why is that?
As you know, Dr. Sebi taught us that an alkaline environment is ideal to keep the balance of the body's ecosystem, and coffee is extremely acidic. It's also dehydrating and a very addictive substance, so you might think you will have only one cup and end up having four. Coffee and other caffeine-based drinks also may lead to insomnia, restlessness, nervousness, irritability, an upset stomach, fast heartbeat, and muscle tremors.
So, what can you do to give up your coffee addiction and be able to wake up without coffee? Follow our 5 tips for having boundless energy without caffeine!
1) Wake Up and Get Moving. Caffeine works as a stimulant to help you feel more alert first thing in the morning, but did you know that a little physical activity can have the same effect? Don't worry, we're not talking about a full-blown workout! Stretching for 10 minutes right after you get out of bed, or taking a walk around the block will get your blood flow moving and signal your brain that it's time to be alert. Watch this video to find out more about the benefits of stretching.
2) Drink Up. As you're well aware, Dr. Sebi recommended drinking at least a gallon of spring water every day. Staying hydrated throughout the day has many benefits we've talked about before, but did you know that it also improves cognitive performance, mood, and memory? The same thing that coffee does, without the nasty side-effects. Energy without caffeine!
3) Eat An Apple. As the saying goes, "an apple a day, keeps the doctor away", and it can also wake you up and give you a great amount of energy every morning, among other health benefits. Apples contain a high amount of minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants. They also contain 13 grams of natural sugars, which, along with their high fiber and water content, release a steady flow of energy throughout the day, without the jolts, mood swings, jitters and anxiety from coffee. This Apple-Pie Smoothie is a great breakfast that will keep you awake and thriving all day long.
4) Sleep Better. Set yourself up for success when you wake up every morning by going to sleep at least 8 hours before. A good night's sleep will make you feel rested, more alert and with a lot more energy all day long. Eat a light dinner, try to avoid looking at screens (like TV or your phone) at least an hour before bed, and do relaxing activities like reading while you have a cup of Dr. Sebi's Nerve/Stress Relief Herbal Tea.
5) Have A Balanced Lunch. Eating a healthy meal mid-day will help you avoid the dip in energy that usually happens at 4 p.m. A lunch that has the perfect ratio of protein, fats, fiber and carbohydrates will digest seamlessly, fuel you more efficiently and keep you energetic, alert and awake! Need some good ideas? This Green Goddess Sandwich or these Veggie Fajitas Tacos are scrumptious, easy to make, and perfectly balanced.