Summer: It’s the season of sunshine, outdoor fun, and… damaged hair? Unfortunately, as much as you may love the warmth and joy of summertime, your hair doesn't always share the sentiment.
The combination of sun, saltwater, chlorine, and humidity can wreak havoc on our precious locks, leaving you with dry, damaged hair. But with a few simple tips and tricks, you can start preparing now so you can keep your hair healthy all summer long.
So grab your favorite hat, and let's dive into the world of summertime haircare!
4 Things That Cause Dry, Damaged Hair
- Sun: UV rays from the sun can damage hair proteins and cause the cuticle (the outer layer of hair) to become weaker and more prone to breakage. This can lead to dryness, split ends, and a dull appearance.
- Saltwater: Saltwater can dehydrate hair, leading to dryness and brittleness. Additionally, the salt can cause the cuticle to lift and become rough, which can make hair more prone to tangling and breakage.
- Chlorine: Chlorine is a common chemical found in swimming pools, and it can be especially damaging to hair. Chlorine can strip the natural oils from hair, leaving it dry and brittle. Like saltwater, it can damage the cuticle, leading to tangling and breakage.
- Humidity: Humidity can cause hair to absorb excess moisture, which can lead to frizz and a lack of definition in curls or waves. Additionally, humidity can make hair more prone to tangling and breakage, as the excess moisture can weaken the hair shaft.
6 Tips for Keeping Your Hair Healthy During Summer
To keep hair healthy during the summer, it's important to take steps to protect and nourish it. Here’s what to do to keep your hair healthy this summer:
- Protect your hair from the sun: Wear a hat, scarf, or use natural hair products that protect your hair from the damaging effects from the sun.
- Use natural and organic hair products: Switch to natural and organic hair products that don't contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances that can strip your hair of its natural oils and damage it further. Look for products that are made with natural, plant-based ingredients that nourish and strengthen hair, such as coconut oil or shea butter.
- Deep condition your hair regularly: Deep conditioning your hair regularly can help restore moisture, improve elasticity, and prevent breakage. You can use natural ingredients like avocado or coconut oil to prepare your DIY hair masks, or use a natural, organic hair conditioner that contains nourishing ingredients.
- Avoid heat styling: Excessive heat styling can damage hair, especially during summer when it's already exposed to the sun and humidity. Try air-drying your hair, or using natural styling methods like braids, twists, or buns.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet: A healthy diet rich in nutrients and minerals can promote hair health from the inside out. Eat plenty of leafy greens, fruits, nuts, and seeds, which are all rich in hair-healthy nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids. (See below for more.)
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your hair hydrated and healthy. Aim to drink at least one gallon of spring water a day and avoid sugary or caffeinated drinks that can dehydrate your body and hair.
4 Best Foods for Healthy Hair
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens like kale or arugula are rich in nutrients which help produce sebum, the oily substance that helps moisturize and protect your scalp and hair.
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help promote healthy hair growth and reduce inflammation on the scalp.
- Avocado: Avocado is rich in healthy fats, which help moisturize the hair and scalp & promote healthy hair growth.
- Berries: Berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are rich in antioxidants & nutrients that strengthen hair and promotes healthy hair growth.
Try This Hair Treatment for Damaged Hair
If you're looking for a natural, organic, and effective solution for keeping your hair healthy this summer, try Dr. Sebi's Hair Food Oil.
With its unique blend of oils and extracts, Dr. Sebi's Hair Food Oil can help protect your hair from the damaging effects of sun, saltwater, and chlorine. It's made with Batana Oil which helps strengthen hair and promote growth, and coconut oil, which helps moisturize and protect the scalp. Along with Olive Oil and French Vanilla, which help reduce frizz, and provide nourishments from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
And unlike many commercial hair products that contain harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances, Dr. Sebi's Hair Food Oil is made with only the highest-quality natural and organic ingredients. It's free from sulfates, parabens, and other harmful chemicals, so you can feel good about what you're putting on your hair and scalp.