Tired of the boring old lettuce salad? This satisfying recipe uses grilled romaine lettuce as a base with enticing results.
- 4 small heads romaine lettuce, rinsed
- 1 tbsp. red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. key lime juice
- Onion powder, to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
- Place lettuce halves cut side down in a large nonstick pan. Don't add any oil. Check the color of the lettuce by turning them. Make sure the lettuce is browned on both sides.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow lettuce to cool on a large platter.
- For dressing, combine red onion with olive oil, agave syrup, key lime juice and fresh basil in a small mixing bowl. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Whisk well to combine.
- Transfer grilled lettuce onto a serving dish and drizzle with the dressing.
Enjoyed this recipe? Try the Alkaline-Electric Salad or the Watercress Citrus Salad next, and let us know which one was your favorite in the comments below.