This chickpea "bolognese" is ideal to serve over approved-grain pasta, or even to eat on it's own!
- 1½ cups diced red onion
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup mushrooms (any kind you like, except shiitake), cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1½ cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1½ cups homemade cherry tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- Sea salt
- 3 cups approved-grain pasta
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the red onions, chickpeas, and a dash of sea salt.
- Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed, to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced cherry tomatoes and tomato sauce. Sauté for 2 more minutes, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour as much of the sauce as you like over the pasta and eat up—it's all fantastic for you and tastes even better.