Living an alkaline lifestyle doesn't mean you have to give up on your favorite foods, like pizza!
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons date sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/8 cups (9 ounces) warm water (about 95°F)*
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (plus more for brushing)
- Your favorite pizza toppings (we used sauteed mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, and wild arugula)
- Whisk the spelt flour, sea salt, and date sugar together.
- Add the warm water and grapeseed oil and mix on medium speed on a food processor or stand mixer.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and sprinkle the top lightly with a bit more flour. Knead the dough a bit until it’s smoother, then divide it into two equal portions.
- Cover the unused portion so it doesn’t dry out and roll the other half on the floured surface with a rolling pin, moving the dough frequently to prevent sticking. Sprinkle very lightly with additional flour as necessary. Create a smooth edge around the perimeter of the dough by pressing the edges with one hand toward the palm of your other.
- Transfer the dough to a large piece of unbleached parchment paper and brush the top of the dough generously with grapeseed oil.
- Using a pizza peel or other flat surface like a cutting board, transfer the dough to the pizza peel or baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake it plain for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the crust has begun to crisp on the underside.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Add your favorite toppings and return the pizza to the hot oven until the edges have browned and puffed (another 5 to 7 minutes). Allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.